Around the World in 60 Days

Adventures, misadventures, characters, unsolicited opinions, observations, and images from eight countries, eight weeks, and an array of architectural treasures.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Day 14. True Love.

I have fallen head over heels in love. They say you never know exactly how and when love will find you...but sometimes it really is love at first sight. I know, already, that this is a bad idea. This particular love affair will cost me too dearly. It won't last. It will start to fray, and wear thin in places, and won't get me as far as I need to go. It will slow me down, and it will leave me with too much baggage. And yet...for a brief and shining moment, it will be glorious....and I'm not sure I have the strength to resist.

I have found The One. Except, The One is actually two- a pair of handmade embroidered Turkish suzani boots. Knee-high, black, with a kaliedoscope of brightly-colored flowers. Waiting for me in the Grand Bazaar. Even if I have the nerve to haggle a little, they are 3 days' worth of spending money on my backpacker budget. But they are SO my type....

What say you, people? Should I take the plunge? To boot? or not to boot??

6 comments:

  1. BOOT BOOT BOOT! you'll never regret it. if only architects were wealthy and working full time i would send you some cash! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay...you may get this too late, but here is my input. In the GB you can barter down to 50% pretty easily by showing interest but walking away until. Everything is priced high there. If there is room to negotiate they will pull you back. It is good to have an idea what you want to pay. So do you want those boots at 50% off?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a foregone conclusion. I am wearing the boots. I talked him down about 35 percent with the "walk away," which was totally sincere because I just shattered my budget for Turkey-but I have post-rationalized that I was under budget in Bali. We'll take the boots out for a drink when I get home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you remember my one and only rule for your whole trip?!?! Buy a pair of boots for yourself!!! If they're worth writing one entire blog post about, then you gotta get em!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, the fact that you didn't spend your money on the blue Frye boots puts you in a good position to buy these! You must-if only to see my covetous face across the street each time you wear them! Oh, by the way, it is snowing and there is a cover article called "Why Hockey Players Fight" on this week's Independent. So you are missing a little, but NOTHING like a Turkish Bath!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't felt moved to post until now. Everything you've written has been like a dream and I couldn't think of a thing to say that wouldn't spoil it. It's a little late, but I am 100% Team Boot. SO GLAD you bought them! Now you have a pair of to-die-for boots that you haggled for in a Turkish bazaar....I just died of envy.

    ReplyDelete