Around the World in 60 Days

Adventures, misadventures, characters, unsolicited opinions, observations, and images from eight countries, eight weeks, and an array of architectural treasures.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Day 17: Leaving Istanbul


Last day in Istanbul. Visited a couple of Sinan mosques, but mostly walked all day- my pedometer (I am a complete travel dork) says 9.6 miles. Nothing is worn out but my ankles, though, from climbing up and down all these lovely steep cobblestone streets. On the advice of Jessica C, who wisely told me that if I didn't buy one of those lovely hanging lamps, I'd regret it as soon as I left the city, I bought a lamp. I drank tea on the rooftop terrace upstairs, took the tram one last time, and did my favorite walk back across the bridge to the Spice Market at dusk, and I drank a glass of fresh-squeezed pomegranite juice, which is the reddest thing I have ever seen.

Despite all the theatrics in the street, and all of these very entertaining Istanbul men feigning heartaches at every turn, the truth is this: the only heart actually breaking as I pack to leave Istanbul is mine. Sigh.

I am depending on Athens and the Greek Isles to cheer me up. I have started reading Ovid's Metamorphosis to prep me for being in the land of Mt. Olympus and all the stories that go with it. Much busier travel week ahead- planes and ferries and a couple of islands to visit, not to mention the Acropolis. Miss everyone back home! Send news!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your well-written travel experiences and thoughts katherine. It is the highlight of my day to read you blogs! and it makes me wish I were traveling again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Istanbul sounds awesome. Have you ever seen the film "Steam"? Set in Istanbul at a Turkish Bathhouse. Finding the place you belong is a rarity in this world.

    ReplyDelete